Friday, 22 October 2010
Where in Africa is Afro Leo?
Darren Olivier Friday, October 22, 2010
It’s Friday and Afro Leo has decided to take a break from it all. What better than to safari in one of Africa's premier wildlife destinations just before the rainy season (perhaps even keeping an eye out for meerkats eating jam). Here are some clues:
· Over 70% of the country is covered by desert;
· It is the world's largest producer of diamonds;
· It has the continent's longest multi-party democracy and is one of the great development success stories;
· Registered trade marks become vulnerable to cancellation on the basis of non use after three years;
· IP licenses must be registered to be effective;
· Adequately protecting rights to traditional knowledge is a serious challenge for government, especially as it is home to an ancient hunter-gatherer tribe;
· Patents undergo a substantive examination;
· It is about the size of France;
· It is well known in popular culture for The Gods Must Be Crazy, Meerkat Manor and the inspired Afrikaans hit "Die Meerkat eet nie jam nie"