Many national IP Offices station IP Attachés in regions throughout the world to advocate for sound international IP policy and to help protect their respective commercial interests abroad. Learn about the valuable resources and support provided by these IP Attachés and how to utilize them as both sources of information and as allies in trademark protection and anticounterfeiting enforcement activities. Speakers will discuss:
- As a brand owner or brand owner representative, what can IP Attachés do for me?
- How do IP Attachés initiate and take part in anticounterfeiting efforts?
- What types of policy matters to IP Attachés promote?
- What types of outreach and education to IP Attachés provide to the public and to local governments?
- How do IP Attachés coordinate with their respective home offices and other government agencies?
Aisha Salem, USPTO IP Attaché for Middle East and North Africa (Kuwait)
Gerardo Munoz de Cote, Televisa, S.A. de C.V. (Mexico)
Leila Equinet, INPI French PTO (United States)
Riki Kishimoto, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Japan)
Intermediate to Advanced Level
Lara Kayode, O. Kayode & Company (Nigeria)
Kingsley Ejiofor, The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) (Nigeria)
William Mansfield, ABRO Industries, Inc. (United States)
Nick Redfearn, Rouse & Co. International LLP (Indonesia)
CM51 Where Am I? Transporting Your Trademark Career to a Different Country
- What are the unique skills that expats bring to corporations, firms and service providers?
- Transferring and applying “local” trademark knowledge to a career in a different country.
- Must one obtain a local law license to work in the trademark field in a country other than where they initially qualified?
- Ethical considerations in being subject to two separate and possibly conflicting ethical guidelines.
Kay Rickelman, Spoor & Fisher (South Africa)
Jayne Elizabeth Durden, CPA Global (United Kingdom)
Barry Gerber, Philip Morris International Management SA (Switzerland)
Walter W. Palmer, Pinheiro Palmer Advogados (Brazil)
(By invitation only)
Hoda Barakat, Hoda Barakat Legal Consultancy (United Arab Emirates)
Elie Atallah, Brand Owners' Protection Group (United Arab Emirates)
Karim El Helali, Oracle Systems Limited (Middle East)
Charles Webster, Spoor & Fisher (South Africa)