In this, the sixth in Afro-IP's A-to-Z series of visits to the official IP websites of African states, Kingsley Egbuonu visits Burundi -- quite a journey from last week's destination, Burkina Faso, but every bit as grim so far as internet services are concerned. Never despairing that things will improve as he progresses through the alphabet, Kingsley writes:
Republic of Burundi
Burundi is a contracting party to the Paris Convention, WIPO Convention and the WTO.
• The Department of Arts and Culture (Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture) is the competent office responsible for copyright and related rights in Burundi.
• There is currently no website for this office.
Industrial Property OfficeKingsley tweets as @IPinAfrica
• The Ministry of Trade and Industry is the government department responsible for the administration of intellectual property rights in Burundi.
• The website for this office is www.commerceetindustrie.gov.bi (© dated 2007) and in French.
• Visitors may just find this website useful for general knowledge on intellectual property law and procedure in Burundi.